Friday, November 11, 2011

Casseroles r us

Growing up, we never had casseroles. My mother was an excellent cook and made things like gorgonzola biscuits, seafood fra diavola, and even home-made bagels. While I loved her cooking, I sometimes enjoy a good 'ol American casserole like Mrs. Nixon's Hot Chicken Salad. (served by my friend Kitty ~ her mother was big on casseroles and she knows them all!)

With an old friend visiting this chilly week, I decided to test a Pinterest recipe for an Enchilada Casserole. While I never follow exact directions, I stayed somewhat close to the recipe and came up with the following modified dish ~ which was easy, fast, yummy, and we even ate all the left-overs!

ENCHILADA CASSEROLE
- 1.5 lb organic ground turkey
- large chopped red onion
- 3 cups salsa, dash of chili powder
- 1 can low sodium pinto beans
- optional: small can of corn
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- whole wheat lavosh (wraps) or tortillas
- light sour cream for garnish
Cook turkey and onions in large skillet, add salsa and toss in the beans. In a large greased baking dish, alternate layers of lavosh, the turkey mixture, and cheese, ending with cheese on top. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes at 400 degrees, until bubbly. Top with a dollop of light sour cream and enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. Kitty may need to post Mrs Nixon's Hot Chicken Salad recipe!

    ReplyDelete